Handling Guide for Used Lead Acid Batteries
A Used Lead Acid Battery (ULAB) contains a mixture of sulphuric acid and water, therefore care and safe handling of ULAB must be undertaken.
- handle using disposable gloves and safety glasses
- batteries can be heavy - take care not to drop or cause back strain
- if battery electrolyte contacts skin or eyes, flush the area immediately with plenty of clean water and seek medical attention if required
- when transported by vehicle, place ULAB in a sealed container in the boot (away from passengers) to prevent leakage
- battery electrolyte can damage paintwork and fabric upon contact - rinse with plenty of clean water - for larger spills, use soda ash or sawdust to soak up the spill and clean residue with brush and pan
- keep ULAB away from children, animals and flames.